Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"The eyes are the window to the soul." William Shakespeare

Week of March 10, 2014

Communication in teaching is paramount.  As a teacher, you must constantly apprise the students in your classroom.  Imagine my surprise at an in-service day twenty years ago when a not so exciting guest speaker with pie charts and flow charts and statistics stopped his presentation and shared this simple statement:  "Some students go through an entire school day without ever being looked in the eyes."  This concept had never even occurred to me, but the following day when I asked students about the veracity of that statement, many concurred.  

After that revelation, I made even more of an effort to look at and communicate, at least with my eyes, if not also though speech,  that I was happy to see every student in my classroom every day.  

Students want to be connected to their teachers.  Help them to know that you want to be connected, too. 

Rittman Publishing, LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment