The biggest influence on our lives for over a year has been the pandemic. Like all of you, I hope that we are at the end of this thing that has changed our lives so much. But as we go back to whatever normal was or will become, I hope we can carry some lessons with us from the pandemic’s end to the new beginning.
Here are my top 5 lessons from the pandemic to carry with me to my new beginning:
1. 1. Rest more. My health actually improved during the pandemic because I was not burning the candle at both ends. I am going to pay closer attention to my body and rest when I need to rest.
2. 2. Show more appreciation for the small things. How I missed driving and shopping and being outside! Every time I am on the golf course, I thank the good Lord for friends and nature.
3. 3. Enjoy being in the moment. We have all been wishing to get out of our houses, so let’s enjoy the time with friends and family and stay in the moment.
4. 4. Tell family and friends what you like about them, and why you appreciate them. Everyone loves validation and praise, and after being alone for almost a year, as many of you were, too, I am looking forward to reunions with friends, and I will share my affirming thoughts with them!
5. 5. Stay positive, and know that you are stronger than you think. We made it through a WORLD-WIDE PANDEMIC ! One day at a time, we were able to cope with so many new things in our formerly safe little worlds. We must remember that we are strong.
Here’s to a new beginning of Life after the pandemic!
“Often when you think you're at the end of something, you're at the beginning of something else. I've felt that many times. My hope for all of us is that "the miles we go before we sleep" will be filled with all the feelings that come from deep caring - delight, sadness, joy, wisdom - and that in all the endings of our life, we will be able to see the new beginnings.
Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required reading. Signed copies are available www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics.
I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books. Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self. However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37
Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book. I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
Connect with Dede!