Tuesday, March 7, 2023

"Teaching is a great way to keep learning." Matthea Harvey

 

                                                                        QuoteFancy 


You hear it on the news almost every day - our country is suffering from a teacher shortage. A story on the TODAY SHOW March 7 caught my eye.  It outlined, for me, that the teacher shortage is even worse than I first thought!

Teacher resignations are rolling in at alarming rate.  Seems that ever since Covid, the job has become more difficult.  Why are teachers leaving? Teaching requires such long hours - there is so much work to be done at home to prepare for the next school day!  The shortage itself is contributing to the resignations, as fewer teachers results in a much larger class size.  Then, there is the lack of any personal space or time during the actual school day, as teachers try to scarf down their lunches in the allotted 23-30 minutes lunch break.  The pay is low, and the stress level is high.  Parent demands on teachers have skyrocketed. Also, more and more, teachers must be all things to all students - parent, coach, counselor, therapist, friend, truant officer, mentor, encourager, conscience, teacher - and that list is not comprehensive enough to embody all that teachers must do every day, all day. 

In Louisiana and Maryland, last year was the highest number of resinations in a decade; Washington state had the highest number of resignations in three decades!  

What can be done?  We must do better at paying the teachers as the professionals they are.  We must instill the virtues of teaching into junior high and high school students, letting them know that teaching is a noble calling, and it one way that a person can actually change the world. The impact of a good teacher is like the ripple of a wave, going on to infinity.

When I began my teaching career in 1974, I made $8100 my first year. I also was the only one in my class to get a teaching job, since there was an abundance of teachers! I sold Avon and worked in the summer as a playground supervisor to supplement my income and to be able to afford all my bills - and that was before so many add-ons, like cell phones and wi-fi.  I used to think that if I ever made $20,000 I would be rich!  I briefly considered leaving teaching during my fifth year, but I left my marrisge instead. I loved my career for all 37 years, and I was sad to have to retire when my husband was dying in 2011. I still miss it.  A good teacher can make such a difference in the lives of others, and as a lifelong learner, teaching gave me the platform to continue learning.

I wrote my book for student teachers (available at www.dederittman.com ) because teaching can be both lonely and isolating, I felt it was important to share my expertise. 

I encourage young people to go into teaching.  Not only are there the joys in the classroom, but the relationships formed while coaching, directing, or sponsoring a club are so rewarding.  Here's to teaching!  Here is the link to the TODAY SHOW story about teacher shortages:  https://www.today.com/video/teacher-resignations-hit-new-high-164621381920

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestionsRittman Publishing, LLC ®

Please invite GRADY GETS GLASSES (and me) into your school, in person, or on Zoom. Email us at GradyGetsGlasses@gmail.com

I do college and university presentations for student teachers with my practical "Dede's Three C's for Classroom Success: Confidence, Communication, and Creativity" in person or via Zoom. Please email me at DedeRittman@gmail.com

Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with groups called Field Trip Zoom and Streamable learning . We will come into YOUR classroom via ZOOM. GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone. Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.


Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 


I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37
years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman,  Rittman Rules,   Student Teaching: The Inside Scoop,    and Grady Gets Glasses
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   GradyGetsGlasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 


No comments:

Post a Comment