Thursday, July 18, 2019

"No significant learning can occur without a significant relationship." James Comer






Teaching is all about relationships. Students simply will not learn from a teacher they don't like.  Teachers who know this cultivate good relationships by learning about their students, sharing some daily small talk, and truly connecting with their students. When I was in the classroom, I received many notes and comments every day that let me know that I was making a meaningful connection with students.  It was wonderful to exchange ideas and conversations with students on a daily basis, reinforcing the relationship for each of us. I loved being a classroom teacher.

Making connections with students is much more difficult as a guest speaker, presenting to an entire school in just three presentations - K and 1; 2 and 3; 4 and 5. Just 40 minutes per presentation does not promote personal connections.

I presented at the Downingtown School District  at the end of April. Mrs. North's class attended one of my online presentations about my book GRADY GETS GLASSES, and then I was invited to present to the entire school. After the presentations, I was invited to Mrs. North's class for a Q and A, so I did have a bit more time to spend with one group of students, and I felt the connection between us!

Imagine my delight when I received a letter from one of Mrs. North's students in the mail!  What a wonderful surprise, as well as a reinforcement of what I have always believed - teaching is all about relationships. This little girl loves her GRADY GETS GLASSES book and the Grady bunny, and she wanted to share that with me. I am so touched to receive this beautiful letter with drawings of Grady! She wanted to share her love for Grady with me!  As an author, this is so flattering, but as a teacher, this is so thrilling.  Connecting with the kids is my goal, and this beautiful letter certifies that I reached that goal.  Thank you, B, for thinking of me and sharing your thoughts. Thanks to Mrs. North for the invitation to your school! 




As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 
Rittman Publishing, LLC ®


Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with a group called Field Trip Zoom. www.Fieldtripzoom.com  GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone.Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.




Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman  and Gradygetsglasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 
















No comments:

Post a Comment