Thursday, May 2, 2019

"A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning." Brad Henry


UniqueTeachingResources.com 



I loved being in the high school classroom for 37 years, and during the two years of visits to elementary schools to present my children's book, GRADY GETS GLASSES, sometimes I see truly inspiring teachers who make me wish I could have also been an elementary school teacher.  

That happened on Friday, April 26, when I presented at the Brandywine Wallace Elementary School. I met Mrs. Betty North, second grade teacher, in person, and  experienced being a part of her class project involving my children's book. What a great teaching idea!

I met Betty's class during a virtual field trip BE AN AUTHOR! that I was presenting for Streamable Learning.  Betty ordered the book and the Grady toy bunny, and she created a fun lesson to get her students reading and writing, but she made the assignment  so much fun, that it doesn't  feel like work. 

Betty created a diary notebook for Grady. to write in after he spends time with each child at home.  Grady MUST have a bedtime story read aloud every night, and students are also invited to share Grady's activities along with pictures of his visits.  When Grady returns to the classroom, the student must present what Grady wrote in his diary, along with a short but succinct book report on the chosen bedtime story.



 Book cover above, and Grady writing in "his" diary below



This assignment is pure genius.  The kids are learning point of view, honing their reading and writing skills, being creative with Grady's activities, and learning the responsibilities of being a team member, all while having fun!  When I was visiting, Mrs. North assigned the Grady diary to me for my overnight stay, and I was delighted to be a part of the project and present to the students the next day.  I was surprised by the creativity involved in this assignment - Grady met goats, and attended a Taekwondo class!  He ate exotic foods and tried daring tricks with his hosts, like climbing a rope and meeting a giant St. Bernard.  Grady gets to experience each child's personal and diverse home life, and when all of these experiences are presented to the class, personal horizons are broadened, with tolerance and inclusion as marvelous by-products. I am very impressed with Mrs. North and her class.

Teachers make such a huge impact on the lives of children, and their hard work should be recognized.  I am applauding the efforts of Mrs. North and her beautiful, fun, and organized class, where learning is paramount, along with empathy and caring.  "A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning." Brad Henry




Grady meets Mrs. North's dog, Shasta 



As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 
Rittman Publishing, LLC ®


Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with a group called Field Trip Zoom. www.Fieldtripzoom.com  GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone.Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.




Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman  and Gradygetsglasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 







































No comments:

Post a Comment