Sunday, September 11, 2016

"If we all do one random act of kindness daily, we just might set the world in the right direction." - Martin Kornfeld



This past week, I have read about and observed several random acts of kindness, and I have seen the change that can occur within a person when human beings treat each other with respect and caring.


This metamorphosis is astounding! Grumpy people become smiling "marshmallows"; complaints turn into accolades, and disgruntlement and discontent magically become happiness and pleasure - all because of an unexpected kindness.

We live in a stressful world, filled with responsibilities and time constraints, and our lives are dictated by job requirements and family duties. People rarely have the time to do nice things for themselves; indeed, they often do not believe that they "deserve" little luxuries! Random acts of kindness - from strangers, acquaintances, and friends - seem to validate our most inner selves, whispering "You are special, you are valued, just because you are you." Can anything be more lovely?

I want to start a crusade of Kindness-with all of YOU! I want our world to be better - do you? I want people to feel valued and happy, and to enjoy the kindness they receive from others, and want to pay that wonderful feeling forward, until our world basks in the glow of caring and compassion. I hope you share this wish! What can we do? I have been brainstorming a few simple ideas: take someone's shopping cart into the store when they have finished unloading their groceries; put the extra change in the almost-expired meter; pay for the iced tea and burger for the car behind you at the drive-through; give a random compliment; say "Good morning"- and mean it; buy an extra coffee for a colleague; notice that someone is down, and sit down and actually LISTEN to their plight; phone your parents or sibling or a long-lost friend; look people in the eye and ask how they are- for real; ask an elderly or disabled person if you can offer assistance; hand the garbage collector or the lawn guy an ice cold water; speak to the homeless guy as if he were a real person, and not invisible; send a congratulations card; give someone a flower for no reason; liberally sprinkle your vocabulary with extra "please and thank you's"; say something pleasant to the strangers in the elevator. Think of what would please YOU (if someone chose to do a random act of kindness for you) and do that same thing for someone else.

I have some personal experience with this, and I guarantee that it feels SO GOOD to make someone happy! In fact, it feels so good that I am not sure why people don't do this all the time! Please comment or email me about your random act of kindness- I would love to hear and share your ideas!

Let's start the KINDNESS CRUSADE together! I am in Pittsburgh, PA - I will be starting the movement here! Please keep me apprised of where you are and what you are doing! Promote the idea and this post- let's make our world better! I will be tweeting about this as well! Please follow me @dederittman Let's make a GREAT week - for so many people.
As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. Rittman Publishing, LLC ®
Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required reading. Signed copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com .  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!

Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman 
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ®








No comments:

Post a Comment