Monday, April 11, 2016

Leadership is not about titles, positions, or flowcharts. It is about one life influencing another. John C. Maxwell




I enjoy how much my everyday life sends me wonderful topics to write about almost every week.  Of course, this week is no exception!  I attended a Saturday night gala a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh for the Global Sisterhood of Empowering Women - Common Threads. The group is both founded and headed by international best-selling author Dr. Shellie Hipsky, who urges all women to stand together, to help each other, indeed; to empower each other. Although I was unable to attend the Saturday workshops, (I heard they were amazing)  the flavor and feeling of the day - the sharing, the sisterhood, and the caring - was still thick in the air as the evening gala began!  And what an impressive group- women came from as far away as South Africa to Singapore to be a part of this wonderful celebration.

Dr. Shellie seems to have combed the earth to find remarkable women to include in her COMMON THREADS TRILOGY and each book is as impressive as the other two. Meeting these women and hearing their stories made for an inspiring evening. (You must take a look at this link!  http://www.inspiringlivesinternational.com/common-threads-trilogy/ )

The part I like the best in all of Dr. Shellie's work is this: Life is all about Balance, Inspiration, and Empowerment- and helping others to achieve all of those precious commodities- through sharing, support, and love.  You will find no negatives in this group of women or in these books; advice and support are given as freely as smiles.  Many of the featured women have heart-wrenching stories and pasts, but all of them have emerged as victors rather than victims.  They have endured and flourished, and these fine human beings are helping other women to do the same. The beautiful shared lesson throughout the trilogy is this: these women are completing each other, rather than competing with each other.

I applaud Dr. Shellie's global work and positive influence, but I am not surprised by her success.  You see, Dr. Shellie is a teacher- a professor, who knows the value of hard work, as well as the impact of positive feedback, support, and interactions, and the importance urging all students, friends, and colleagues to be the best they can be. I spoke with one of Dr. Shellie's former students who told me: "She was wonderful!  She made us feel like we could be anything and anyone we wanted to be!"

I often write in my posts that teachers never know how much of an influence they have on others, and to my way of thinking, that influence is like the butterfly effect- as it ripples on to infinity.  So it is with Dr. Shellie's work and the work of all of the women in the COMMON THREADS TRILOGY - they are making a positive difference for others around the world. Definitely worth the read!   

This post is published with the approval of Dr. Shellie Hipsky. 

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 

Rittman Publishing, LLC ®

Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER.  Many colleges have made the book required reading. 
Signed copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 


Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com .  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com IS UP AND RUNNING!!!.  Signed copies ARE available!  Coloring books and Grady plush toys are ordered! 

Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman 
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ®



Dede is the co-host of The Total Education Q & A, which can be heard on Blogtalk Radio at www.blogtalkradio.com/totaltutor 








No comments:

Post a Comment