Sunday, March 20, 2016

The only way to do great work is to love what you do. Steve Jobs


Besides being an author, speaker, and teacher, I also work several hours a week as a radio show producer with my friend Neil Haley of The Total Education Network.  Neil is a teacher, tutor, social media and branding coach, educational advocate, radio show host, celebrity interviewer, television show host, a husband, and a father of five.  I do not know when he sleeps!  Neil has been a visionary for me, as we began working together shortly after I published my first book for student teachers, but I had no idea of how to market it.  Neil coached me, helped me to prioritize my workload, taught me about Twitter, podcasts, broadcasts, Facebook, LinkedIn, and much more.  He is very brilliant!  I have enjoyed many opportunities for interviews, guest authorships, speaking engagements, and more under his tutelage. Neil's enthusiasm for all of the jobs he does make him a force with which to be reckoned. He is a cyclone in the guise of a man, filling every corner of a room with energy. 

I help to book some of Neil's radio shows, and it is very easy to become friends with the awesome people I meet through email.  Just like Neil, each of the interviewees has a true desire to make the world a better place; or at least his/her small part of the world. Their passions come in a variety of flavors:  authors, teachers, journalists, herbalists, spiritualists, psychologists, psychiatrists, inventors, and more! Being surrounded by people who are so ardent about their life's work makes me feel even more passionate about my work, and that is saying quite a bit!  Neil's interviews are so inspiring; his station and style are truly antidotes to the blues! 

People who show a passion for their work are fun to have as friends, even for 30 minutes on a radio interview. Their energy surrounds them like a multi-colored rainbow bubble, and they have a sort of happy glow from within. Listeners can hear the energy and enthusiasm in their voices during the interviews. Having a zeal for work and life is a gift;  that passion can be difficult to sustain in a world in which the trampling of dreams is more common than the support of dreamers. Neil is an expert interviewer, who is so comfortable in his conversations with his guests, that they tell me the interview "flew by" and it "was a blast!" Would you like to know a little radio show producer secret? In my reminder email for each guest, I give two important pieces of advice: show your passion for your subject, and keep a glass of water close at hand! I tell them that they will be having a conversation with a new friend; there is nothing about which to be nervous. That advice works every time! Just like in life, interviews on the radio are all about being who you are.

The same is true for teaching.  When teachers show their passion for their subjects, learning, teaching, and their students, suddenly discipline problems disappear!  Everyone enjoys being part of the energy of one who loves and believes in the work he is doing. 

If you have not listened to The Total Education Network, I invite you to log into www.blogtalkradio.com/totaltutor.  You will see dozens of choices - from celebrities to first time authors.  The interviews are carried on 120 stations in 80 countries (some terrestrial, some Internet), and we average 2.5 million listeners per week. Maybe from listening to others share their ideas, some listeners will develop a new dedication for their life's work! 

I would love to hear from you!  So would Neil!  I will pass your comments on to him!

This piece was posted with the approval of Neil Haley. 

 dederittman@gmail.com 

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 

Rittman Publishing, LLC ®

Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER.  Many colleges have made the book required reading. 
Signed copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com .  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com IS UP AND RUNNING!!!.  Signed copies ARE available!  Coloring books are here, and Grady plush toys are ordered! 

Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman 
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ®



Dede is the co-host of The Total Education Q & A, which can be heard on Blogtalk Radio at www.blogtalkradio.com/totaltutor 






No comments:

Post a Comment