Monday, July 27, 2015

"Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Have you thought about your friends lately?  I think of my friends constantly, because they are a big part of my life; in fact, my friends are the reason I am happy today, even though my husband died and Life has thrown me a slew of curve balls. They were there for me when Scott was sick and dying, and they continue to love and support me.  I can still hit one of those curve balls and get a home run because of my friends.  Why?  Because THEY think I can; therefore, I can!  

I was very fortunate to teach in a school building with over 100 caring teachers as colleagues. Each was woven into the fabrics of the lives of the others, and with so much time spent together, we became our own family at school.  We suffered together over the loss of students, spouses, babies, parents, and siblings.  We rejoiced together over students, spouses, babies, parents and siblings, as well as personal adventures and awards.  We held bake sales and pancake breakfasts, performed in talent shows, organized picnics and parties, exchanged clothes, coupons, and recipes.  We were blessed.

Now, all of that great group of teachers has retired.  We still get together for lunches and special events, but it is not the same as being with "the friends" every day of the school year.  But, one thing does remain the same.  If one of us needs something, everyone comes running.  

I started a Go Fund Me campaign last week, because it is my dream to have a stuffed animal plush toy bunny to be sold in addition to my upcoming book, GRADY GETS GLASSES.  Grady is a bunny who tells small children (in verse) about how much his glasses help him to see his whole world, explaining farsighted and nearsighted and even the care of glasses.  Grady makes children feel special, because they wear glasses, just like he does! I think having a plush toy Grady would make every child feel even better about wearing glasses, so that is why I am trying to raise money.  Trademarks and lawyers and toy manufacturers are all very expensive, and although I am frugal, there are no coupons to clip for this cause.

My teacher friends from school were right there to support me, as soon as the campaign kicked off, just as I knew they would be. I am blessed.

If you are a teacher reading this, I hope that you have created wonderful and lasting relationships with your colleagues.  Spending so much time with friends at school certainly makes every school day better. Teacher friends who share the ups and downs of life, as well as funny and poignant events from the classroom, are happier at school.  No research data needed for that statement, as I am living proof that it is true.

I would appreciate it if you would take a look at my Go Fund Me page, and you can see Grady the Rabbit, drawn by the talented Lauren Givens Wood, my former student, and Carnegie-Mellon School of Art graduate. Here is the link:  gofundme.com/zvzhuk 

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions.


Rittman Publishing, LLC ®

CONNECT WITH DEDE!

Twitter      @dederittman
LinkedIn    Dede Rittman
Facebook  Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
Google+    Dede Rittman
Tumblr       The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman

Visit Dede's website for information on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER  
www.dederittman.com  



No comments:

Post a Comment