Monday, June 29, 2015

“Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it” ― Gautama Buddha

I have mentioned this before, but I actually LIKE to work.  I like the challenges and creativity, the problems and solutions.  I like feeling useful and being of service to others. I like the fact that I am contributing to society every day.  I loved both teaching and coaching, and found my purpose in both for 37 years, and now I have found a new purpose in my retired life as an author, a speaker, a radio talk show co-host, and an educational consultant.

I live in the school district in which I taught for 35 years, so it is not too unusual for me to bump into former students around town.  I have seen two students in the past few months who are now adults, but who are dealing with sad issues in their lives.  Both of these students are wandering aimlessly, living at home, and depressed because of their particular circumstance. I spent over an hour with each of them, and it felt just like I was back in the classroom and they were in 10th grade again.  

Sometimes, families members walk around problems, because they hope by not addressing those issues, the problems will go away.  (That method never works. I know this for a fact, as I have tried it myself.)  Instead, as my former students poured their individual problems out for me to hear, I led them to recognize and say aloud what their parents or significant others would not say to them - they did not know their purpose.  

Knowing and having a purpose is so fulfilling.  At the end of the day, it just feels good to finish a project, to help a friend or neighbor, to do a good deed, or to put in a hard day's work.  When grief or sadness or anger try to steal away happiness, one's purpose and work can go a long way toward helping to keep an even keel. I, personally, believe that our life's purposes are constantly changing, and that we must open our minds and our spirits to embrace the purposes with which we are presented.

When my parents both died unexpectedly within 82 days of each other back in 2002, I was very depressed.  Both died of massive heart attacks without any warning, and there were no final goodbyes.  I continued to teach and coach, to be the best wife I could be, and to try to make my life as normal as possible, which really helped me personally.  When Scott died in 2012, I had already retired from teaching, but I continued to coach and to do all of the paperwork that comes with a death.  My purpose was also to clean up our house to be sold, and to find a new condo for one, which was maintenance-free.  It took 5 months of 16 hours a day to do all of that, but each night, I could go to sleep knowing that I was fulfilling my purpose for that time. Moving and the death of a spouse, along with the deaths of both of my husband's parents and a diagnosis and treatment of oral cancer (no, I never smoked-very scary) took some time to work through, and I knew I had to find a new purpose.  I had started writing my book for student teachers some years before, returning to it now and then.  I suddenly had the chance to really write, as I no longer had hundreds of English II essays to grade. I began this blog, and finished and published the book.  

I feel lucky that I have had so many purposes, and I feel for someone who can't find one.  I told both of my former students in separate conversations that they must go back to what they love to do. Work and purpose must be enjoyable to be good for one's mental health.
It seems silly, but for both, those words were what they needed to hear.  They walked away from our conversations with hope in their eyes, and I hope they are both on the road to discovering their individual purposes. 

Here's to all teachers knowing their purpose and to helping their students to find theirs. 

“Get going. Move forward. Aim High. Plan a takeoff. Don't just sit on the runway and hope someone will come along and push the airplane. It simply won't happen. Change your attitude and gain some altitude. Believe me, you'll love it up here.” ― Donald Trump


Rittman Publishing, LLC

Dede's book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER, has won 7 awards! Buy it at  www.dederittman.com 

See Dede's 5 star reviews on Amazon 
http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/1633850102/ref=acr_search_see_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Connect with Dede!

Twitter @dederittman
Facebook Dede Faltot Rittman
LinkedIn Dede Faltot Rittman
Google+ Dede Rittman 
Tumblr The Bunny Teacher






























No comments:

Post a Comment