Monday, July 31, 2023

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up." Mark Twain

 

                                                                   
                                                                 AZ QUOTES


I had a busy week last week, playing golf, seeing lots of friends, and attending several gatherings of old friends and new friends throughout the week and the weekend.  I also had several phone calls from far away friends, and no matter where I was or where I turned to listen, it seemed people were talking to me about their sadness and loneliness. It feels like this is an epidemic!  I hope they shared their feelings because I am a good listener, or because they know my husband died 11 years ago and I am an empath who will understand their pain, or for both those reasons. (By the way, it seems to me that people are even more lonely since the isolation policies of the pandemic, as some people are having a difficult time resuming "normal.")  In a world where it seems that people are paired off like they are boarding Noah's Ark, it is easy to understand why being alone can be difficult.

So many people are in pain because they are so lonely.  They look around at a world divided by two - partners for travel, for tennis, for golf, for roller coaster rides, dinners for two, etc.!  I remember when Scott first died, and I was both scared and apprehensive because I had never lived completely alone.  The silence of my once-happy home seemed to be crushing me, and the thought of being alone for the rest of my life was so overwhelming and so sad.  Little by little, as I got to know myself better in the silence of solitude, I began to appreciate some alone time, and even to enjoy the solitude, although I will be forever grateful to the friends who reached out to include me in their social plans.  Even though I felt like a fifth wheel, I attended whatever I was invited to, just because I was invited. The care, concern, and conversation of others helped me through my healing process. 

Why am I writing about this sad topic? Easy answer: the conversations of the past few weeks have set me to thinking about loneliness, and I hope those who are reading this will know that some kindness and caring and listening can do so much to heal the lonely soul. Maybe you know someone who could use a pick-me-up phone call, an impromptu lunch invitation, or a casual and unannounced drop by.  Small kindnesses, the gift of a little time, and a listening ear can do so much for a sad person. Or if you are a sad person, reach out to someone and you will help yourself and the other person. Life can be so difficult, and sometimes it seems even more difficult when a person is alone.  Hope you can cheer up a lonely friend this week! If you are the lonely person, I know that the thing that makes me feel better is doing something for someone else!  It is amazing the lift you get inside when you are lifting someone else!  Love this Mark Twain quote - and it has worked for me for years!

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up." Mark Twain


As always, I welcome your comments and suggestionsRittman Publishing, LLC ®


Please invite GRADY GETS GLASSES (and me) into your school, in person, or on Zoom. Email us at GradyGetsGlasses@gmail.com

I do college and university presentations for student teachers with my practical "Dede's Three C's for Classroom Success: Confidence, Communication, and Creativity" in person or via Zoom. Please email me at DedeRittman@gmail.com

Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with groups called Field Trip Zoom and Streamable learning . We will come into YOUR classroom via ZOOM. GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone. Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.


Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 


I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37
years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman,  Rittman Rules,   Student Teaching: The Inside Scoop,    and Grady Gets Glasses
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   GradyGetsGlasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 




No comments:

Post a Comment