Human beings need the Olympics. Every four years, we need to be able to see the amazing examples set for the rest of the world by these mere mortals who soar so high!
My top 5 reasons why the world needs the Olympics:
1. We need to be inspired. We need to see the athletes who work so hard, as they discover their true potential, and never give up on their dreams. Many of these athletes and their families have made huge sacrifices to continue to train and work toward their dreams. They show the rest of the world what dedication really means, even if they do not receive a medal.
2. We need to know that with hard work, dreams can come true.The rush that comes from watching the realization of the lifetime dream of an individual athlete is so uplifting! In just one example, seeing the childhood videos of ice dancing team of the ShibSibs, the brother and sister who have skated together for most of their lives. Watching them take Bronze,discuss the years of dedication to the sport, and recognize their parents and coaches provided an emotional lift to the millions who saw them.
3. The world needs to see role models who exhibit good sportsmanship. (Sometimes, professional athletes do not exhibit the best possible sportsmanship.) I am thinking of several great examples I saw when two team mates, who are in the midst of vying for the same medal, hug each other and whisper, "I am so proud of you!" When fellow competitors from other country applaud the efforts of their contemporaries, that, too, is great sportsmanship.
4. The world needs to see that everyone is not a winner, but that working toward a goal is a reward in itself. In this society of "Everyone receives a trophy," it is important to note that only three medals are awarded in each sport. In fact, there are more losers than winners in the Olympics, but the intrinsic reward of being a part of a world scale athletic event is so rewarding.
5. We need to see the entire world getting along with each other, as people. In our world of nuclear bombs and instability, the two weeks of Olympic Games provide a respite from the stress caused by the lack of world peace. The Games provide tangible hope - after all, even North and South Korea competed as a team! Anything can happen!
Thank you, Olympians! Thank you, Olympic parents and coaches and family members! Thank you for your inspiration, dedication, and hard work, as we watch you reach for the stars - from our easy chairs. Peoples from many nations appreciate your work and sacrifice, and congratulations on being a part of an Olympic team, with or without a medal. You won a gold medal when you made the team. Congratulations!
Rittman Publishing, LLC ®
Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school. if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with a group called Field Trip Zoom. www.Fieldtripzoom.com GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 from The Authors' Zone. For more information about The Authors' Zone, please visit http://www.theauthorszone.com/submissions/
Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required reading. Signed copies are available www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics.
I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books. Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self. However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired!
Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom. Check them out! http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/
Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book. I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading. Please email me at email@example.com The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl
Connect with Dede!
Facebook Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn Dede Rittman
Google + Dede Rittman
Tumblr The Bunny Teacher
Pinterest Rittman Publishing, LLC ®