Monday, July 24, 2023

"Kindness is the most important tool to spread love among humanity." Raktivist

 

Random Acts of Kindness Foundation 

I played golf with a group of new friends yesterday, July 23, at a beautiful local golf course called Cranberry Highlands.  I was invited by my friend Art Peternel.  July 23 is a special day for Art - on that day last year, he was at Edinburgh Airport, arriving for a golf vacation, when he had a heart attack after disembarking from the plane. That's right - a heart attack at the airport!  What a nightmare on so many levels! His quick-thinking buddies were able to get him the help that he needed very quickly, and after 3 stents and a short hospital stay at The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Scotland, Art was back on the golf course with his buddies. Although he could not play, he could at least putt and enjoy being on some hallowed golf courses for the rest of their trip.  After some therapy back in the US, Art is now almost as good as new. To honor that "heart attack day,"  Art invited his "lifesaver" friends along with some other golf friends to enjoy 18 holes of fun and camaraderie, followed by a picnic at his house, hosted by his beautiful and welcoming wife Martha, all to celebrate his life after surviving the heart attack.  It was a sunny, fun, and great day to be with Art and Martha and their friends, from start to finish!

While we were playing the front 9, Art told me that when he survived the heart attack, it was life changing in many ways.  He said that he felt more of a need to understand his purpose here on earth, and as he reflected on his many blessings, he decided to do what he could do to spread kindness and gratitude in his corner of the world. He posts beautiful and thought-provoking pictures, quotes, and messages on his Facebook page, and he lifts others with his positive outlook and demeanor.  I know that I look for his posts and feel uplifted when I read them, and he has gained quite a nice following with his positive postings of kindness/gratitude.  We talked about turning around situations, and how a different perspective can change you for the better.  I told Art that when my husband died 11 years ago, I was so angry and hurt, and I was "stuck" in that mode for a short while.  That feeling was too sad to deal with, so I quickly learned that it felt better to feel gratitude for the 30 beautiful years we were privileged to spend together, rather than focus on what I am missing now.  That change in perspective has served me well, just as Art's change in perspective has renewed the man and increased his happiness exponentially.  

I always love to listen to people - their stories, their perspectives, their motivations, and their outlooks.  This old teacher still loves learning new things!  I am grateful to Art for his friendship and his new found influence over so many, making his life and their lives happier and more meaningful.  Well played, Art!  

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestionsRittman Publishing, LLC ®


Please invite GRADY GETS GLASSES (and me) into your school, in person, or on Zoom. Email us at GradyGetsGlasses@gmail.com

I do college and university presentations for student teachers with my practical "Dede's Three C's for Classroom Success: Confidence, Communication, and Creativity" in person or via Zoom. Please email me at DedeRittman@gmail.com

Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with groups called Field Trip Zoom and Streamable learning . We will come into YOUR classroom via ZOOM. GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone. Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.


Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 


I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37
years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman,  Rittman Rules,   Student Teaching: The Inside Scoop,    and Grady Gets Glasses
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   GradyGetsGlasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 




No comments:

Post a Comment