Monday, January 16, 2023

"We are trying to construct a more inclusive society. We are going to make a country in which no one is left out." Franklin D. Roosevelt

 

                                                                            AZ Quotes


When I was teaching at North Allegheny Intermediate School for 35 years, our 9th and 10th grade students created and funded so many charitable drives and donations that it was difficult to keep up with everything going on in the building! With an active student council group, as well as Leadership I and II classes that taught everything from time management to organizing fundraisers for optimum success, our school always had many ongoing projects, and it was wonderful to see students take the reins and grow in confidence as they worked toward their own successes and the altruistic success to influence the lives of others. 

I saw a story on Steve Hartman that reminded me of my teaching days, and this story involved some extraordinary 5th graders at Glen Lake Elementary School in Hopkins, MN.  Seems that Glen Lake has quite a few students with special needs, but no adaptive playground equipment. The students in Betsy Julien's class noticed that their friends were left out, and said "Recess is for having fun," but they were sad to see their friends in wheelchairs sitting idly by and not playing. They asked their teacher-  why they couldn't just BUY some adaptive playground equipment?  Her answer was that it was so expensive - probably around $300,000, by her estimation.  Undeterred, for months, the students collected change, had a bake sale, made flyers, cold called business, asked for donations, and worked with restaurants to garner parts of the profits on a specific day. 

The students' hard work paid off !  As of last week, the 5th graders raised the $300,000, and they are waiting for the playground equipment to arrive. The interview with the students is so poignant - one student, named Reese Riley, is tearful thinking about the massive accomplishment and the fact that everyone will be included. The students in wheelchairs seem to be overcome with the great effort their friends have expended on their behalf.  This is one of the most beautiful and selfless stories about children I have ever seen. 

The story is not finished - the students have decided to keep their fund raiser going, to buy inclusive playground equipment for other elementary schools in their district. Teacher Betsy Julien says her future is bright because these children are change-makers; they see something wrong, and they work to fix it. 

Please watch Steve Hartman interview the kids and teacher about this beautiful project.  I promise your heart will be touched. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/steve-hartman-on-the-road-glen-lake-elementary-school-playground/

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestionsRittman Publishing, LLC ®

Please invite GRADY GETS GLASSES (and me) into your school, in person, or on Zoom. Email us at GradyGetsGlasses@gmail.com

I do college and university presentations for student teachers with my practical "Dede's Three C's for Classroom Success: Confidence, Communication, and Creativity" in person or via Zoom. Please email me at DedeRittman@gmail.com

Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with groups called Field Trip Zoom and Streamable learning . We will come into YOUR classroom via ZOOM. GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone. Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.


Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 


I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37
years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman,  Rittman Rules,   Student Teaching: The Inside Scoop,    and Grady Gets Glasses
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   GradyGetsGlasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 

No comments:

Post a Comment