Tuesday, November 8, 2022

"Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are." Malcolm Forbes

 

                                                                        AZ Quotes


This month, on November 20, I will be 70 years old.  I can't say for sure when that happened - it all seems like it was just in the blink of an eye!  I remember when my mother turned 70 and I asked her if she felt older.  "No," she said, "I feel the same inside as I did when I was 25; I just look older."  I now completely understand her statement 

One thing I know for certain is this: Life is so short - and so fleeting.  This will be my 11th birthday without my dear husband, who only got 59 years on the worldly merry-go-round. I have had quite a bit of time to reflect on my life, and here are my top 10 thoughts about what I do to make each day positive:

1.  Play all the golf you can while you can.  Physical capabilities can be limited after even a minor mishap, so play while you can!

2. When you awaken each morning, begin with being thankful.  Starting out the day with a few spoken words of appreciation will make the day flow better.

3. Always make your bed unless you are sick.  Making your bed says that you are up and ready to face the day, even if you are not! Put on a happy face and get going.

4. Do at least one good deed every day.  Return a shopping cart from the store parking lot, compliment a stranger, help someone with their groceries, or let someone with one item in the line ahead of you.  Let the car turn in front of you, call a friend in need, or speak to a stranger. Your spirit will be renewed daily.

5. Write a card, note, or email to someone you have been thinking about and haven't seen in a long time. Renewing friendships is good for all souls.

6. Sing.  Sing in the shower, sing in the car, sing while you are dusting or vacuuming.  Singing makes the heart lighter, and when the heart is light, your steps will also be light!

7. When you see something beautiful, moving, or wonderful, say it aloud, even if you are alone.  Speaking about wonder and beauty makes them even more wonderful. 

8. Read a little every day.  Reading keeps us current and our minds sharp. Learn something new every day.  It's good to think about new things. 

9. Listen more than you talk, especially to younger folks.  Give your advice and opinion when they ask you for it. 

10. Reflect on the past and enjoy the memories, but don't get rooted there.  If you keep looking backward, you won't be able to see where you are going. Time marches on.

These 10 items are things I have been doing more and more since I have lived alone, which is almost 11 years.  I try to stay positive, even when I spend a lot of time alone, like during the pandemic.  I hope these suggestions work for you!  You only get that one life, with no dress rehearsal.  You have to make the most of it.  You must value YOURSELF.  

"Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are." Malcolm Forbes 

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestionsRittman Publishing, LLC ®

Please invite GRADY GETS GLASSES (and me) into your school, in person, or on Zoom. Email us at GradyGetsGlasses@gmail.com

I do college and university presentations for student teachers with my practical "Dede's Three C's for Classroom Success: Confidence, Communication, and Creativity" in person or via Zoom. Please email me at DedeRittman@gmail.com

Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with groups called Field Trip Zoom and Streamable learning . We will come into YOUR classroom via ZOOM. GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone. Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.


Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 


I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37
years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman,  Rittman Rules,   Student Teaching: The Inside Scoop,    and Grady Gets Glasses
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   GradyGetsGlasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 













No comments:

Post a Comment