Wednesday, January 8, 2020

"Teaching is a very noble profession that shapes the character, caliper, and future of an individual." Abdul Kalam


A Z Quotes 


I know have said this before, but I simply must say it again:  I love teaching.  And today at Thiel College,  I really loved teaching! 

My student teaching book (Student Teaching: The Inside Scoop from a Master Teacher, www.dederittman.com or Amazon) was the impetus for my presentation to the second semester's student teachers and the Education Department at Thiel College in Greenville, PA. Dr. Douglas Hazlett, Department Chair, has added my text to the required reading for Education majors.  Doug is a man who has more years in the "real world" public school K-12 sector than he has in the university, and he likes using what he calls my "practitioner's handbook" with the students, to show real world experiences. I find this to be quite flattering, since common sense and solid advice learned from 37 years in the classroom is what I offer!

As I met and spoke with the new crop of student teachers, I discovered that their first day in the classroom will be tomorrow.  Both the terror and excitement of anticipating that first day shone on their faces, and I remembered how I felt all those years ago. I can still recall those emotions as I anticipated student teaching : fear, excitement, self-doubt, pride, panic, then back to excitement.  Even now, after all those years, I honestly can't think of any other profession that offers the thrill and excitement of teaching, because only in teaching is one shaping young minds, introducing new ideas, and shaping the future of the world.  

My presentation -Three C's for Classroom Success: Confidence, Communication, and Creativity - was well received, and many points seemed to hit the mark with the the students and the professors as well.  The student teachers reacted with lots of laughter and head shaking, as well as excitement. Although they were not a hugely talkative group, I could see that they are passionate about their subject areas, and that they are eager to share their passion for learning with others.They seemed to be well-prepared, and I also really like that! I also liked that they were dressed for success, confident, and ready to face a new challenge. They were already formulating their philosophy of teaching, and when I head words like "empathy" and "caring" and "growth" in our discussion, I knew this was a great group. 


One of the many things I shared with this terrific group is this truth: no one knows where a teacher's influence ends, if, indeed, it ever ends. Personally, I believe that influence goes on into infinity. In my own life, I can think of and refer to many teachers who shaped my life and my teaching career.  The group of student teachers I met with today brings me great hope. Hope for today, and hope for tomorrow.  I feel confident that this group will share positive influences in their new classrooms, graduate from college, and become teachers and influencers for the next generation. 

You see, I believe that there is no higher calling than being a teacher, and I am so glad these students heard that calling to shape the minds of the future.

 Best wishes in your new lives as teachers! I hope you LOVE it!



As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 
Rittman Publishing, LLC ®


Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with a group called Field Trip Zoom. www.Fieldtripzoom.com  and a company called www.StreamableLearning.com GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone.Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.




Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman  and Gradygetsglasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 












No comments:

Post a Comment