Sunday, January 31, 2016

Teachers who love teaching help children to love learning. - Anonymous

I worry about Education and the direction in which it is headed.  I loved teaching, and I think every teacher should give his or her best every single day.  I worry that teaching is not attracting enough potential candidates, and that even when they find a position, they might burn out quickly.  The stress of being a teacher has never been higher, and it takes a person with more backbone than Stuart Little to step up to the challenge of teaching in the schools and demands of today's world.

After last Wednesday, I am less worried. I made the acquaintance of some terrific and motivated student teachers who will be strong candidates to become the educators of the future.  I met them at Dr. Richard Gutkind's class at Point Park University, where I was the guest speaker for the group.  I presented some important concepts regarding what I think teachers need to be effective, and the give and take of conversation in the group let me know that this group- every one of these student teachers- is committed to being the best he or she can possibly be.  

I LOVE THAT.  I love that young people share a passion for teaching (the same one that continues to burn inside my heart, even though my public school career began in 1974 and ended in 2011.)  I love that they have already formulated a working philosophy to guide them through their careers.  I love that they are thinking of their students as individuals, and asking questions about how to reach each and every student (leaving NO learners behind.) I love their dedication to show up for this class with me as their speaker, after their long day at school,  eating their makeshift dinners while I talked, putting their sandwiches down to take a few notes.  I love that they LOVE being in the classroom, even though they are guests in that classroom, and that they are dreaming of having their own classrooms. I love that they stayed after to talk to me, and that some of them have emailed me with follow-up questions. I love that they learned that teaching is really all about making relationships, and that they trust me enough to email me.  I love that I STILL LOVE TEACHING!!!  And teaching student teachers is SO wonderful- especially these student teachers. 

I am so fortunate- I have the opportunity to speak at so many universities and colleges, and to see a multitude of student teachers, and no two groups are the same.  This group was like a handful of newly minted bright and shiny pennies, and I am so excited for their particular futures.  Looks like I don't have to worry about the future of Education quite so much- not with this caliber of teaching candidates. 

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 

Rittman Publishing, LLC ®

Contact Dede if you would like her speak to your faculty or student teachers. dederittman@gmail.com 

Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER.  Many colleges have made the book required reading. 

Signed copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Here is the link the my 15 second Grady Gets Glasses commercial! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881Z3e34X9s



Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com .  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com IS UP AND RUNNING!!!.  Signed copies ARE available!  Coloring books and Grady plush toys are ordered! 

Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman 
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ®



Dede is the co-host of The Total Education Q & A, which can be heard on Blogtalk Radio at www.blogtalkradio.com/totaltutor 










No comments:

Post a Comment