Monday, January 4, 2016

"Communication - the human connection - is the key to personal and career success." Paul J. Meyer, American Businessman

And so a new year begins, crammed with resolutions that will be abandoned before a week's time has passed.  I can think of one resolution that is so much easier to keep than "losing 50 pounds" or "stopping smoking."  It is health-related, but not in the way you are thinking. My idea is all about emotional health, and it is one resolution that could start a great revolution - of people connecting in person again.

Take a look around you, wherever you happen to be. Couples are together, people are traveling in families, attending parties, and seemingly congregating in packs, yet so many people are so preoccupied with their phones and other electronic devices that they have lost the ability to connect on a personal level. This even happens in restaurants and family 
meal time.  I believe that this umbilical cellular phenomenon with eyes glued to a screen is a detriment to our overall society. 

People have a basic need to connect on a personal level.  Human interactions help all of us to experience emotional highs (and lows), inclusion and well-being, as well as and feelings of trust, empathy, love, acceptance, and loyalty.  Most people want and like to be looked in the eye during a conversation; electronic device usage has subtracted eye contact from the equation of many interactions, creating feelings of unworthiness in some individuals. I read a study a few weeks ago about children and their parents, and the number one desire stated by the children was this simple wish: that parents put their cell phones away and give their children their undivided love, attention.  That does not really sound like too much of a demand.  

Let's get back to connecting with each other. . .  through eye contact, spoken words, written words, and time together - without cellular devices in our hands.  I think reconnecting with others will make ALL of us happier in 2016.  Happy New year, Friends!  Wishing you much love, happiness, and success in 2016!  Dede

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 

Rittman Publishing, LLC ®

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com .  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com IS UP AND RUNNING!!!.  Signed copies ARE available!  Coloring books and Grady plush toys are ordered! 

Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman 
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ®

Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER.  Many colleges have made the book required reading. 
Signed copies are available  www.dederittman.com 

Dede is the co-host of The Total Education Q & A, which can be heard on Blogtalk Radio at


http://www.blogtalkradio.com/totaltutor




No comments:

Post a Comment