Wednesday, October 19, 2022

"There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about." Margaret J. Wheatley

 

                                                                    Ellevate Network 


On Thursday, I attended the unveiling of a mural in a little town in Pennsylvania called Zelienople. Zelienople is about 30 miles north of downtown Pittsburgh.  It has a beautiful main street a half mile long and lots of independently owned shops, rather than an empty downtown with a Walmart Plaza in the suburbs.  It is a truly charming little town. 

My former colleague, Randy Hart, and his wife, Cindy, commissioned a mural of Zelienople in Christmas of 1956. 1956 was a big year for this little town - they established their own school district, and also had a brand new elementary school and a new community park.  In addition to the Christmas mural, they had a plaque made to commemorate children of friends, as well as family, who were taken from this life too soon.  Randy and Cindy's daughter, Jackie, got cancer at age 30.  After 93 treatments, she died at just 32 years old, leaving behind her loving parents and brother, as well as a grieving husband and children.  Randy and Cindy know others who have suffered a similar tragedy, so the plaque is dedicated to those families and children.  Here is a picture of both the plaque and the mural.




                                       Commemorative plaque honoring children gone too soon


                                        Randy Hart and Dede Rittman with "Christmas in 1956"


Zelienople is a town that has like-minded citizens who enjoy the small-town lifestyle and work together for the good of the town.  Houses rarely make it to the market here - so many people want to live in "Zelie" that word of mouth usually seals the deal beore having to go online. This particular mural is in a beautiful store called Haute Designs.  The new owner has exposed the original high tin ceiling and the brick wall.  So many merchants are onboard making Zelienople special that the town has an entire mile of murals!  (see article below)

If folks in western Pennsylvania are looking for a way to spend a relaxing and special day, they just might want to check out Zelieniople.  I have included a link below that lists all the festivals and shops.

Small town America, solid values, and family and community first are all values that live on in Zelienople.  Randy Hart is a true town leader, making his town a place where everyone wants to be. Congratulations on the new mural and all the strides forward Zelienople continues to make!  

"There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about." Margaret J. Wheatley 


This link is an article about the unveiling of Christmas in Zelienople, 1956, and the plaqyue for children who left us too soon:

https://www.cranberryeagle.com/2022/10/14/nostalgic-mural-evokes-1950s-era-zelie/


Article about a mile of murals in Zelieenople:

https://www.cranberryeagle.com/2022/04/16/mile-of-murals-shows-zelie-history-potential/


Here is a great article outling some of the special shops and events in Zelienople: 

https://www.visitbutlercounty.com/blog/small-town-spotlight-zelienople


As always, I welcome your comments and suggestionsRittman Publishing, LLC ®

Please invite GRADY GETS GLASSES (and me) into your school, in person, or on Zoom. Email us at GradyGetsGlasses@gmail.com

I do college and university presentations for student teachers with my practical "Dede's Three C's for Classroom Success: Confidence, Communication, and Creativity" in person or via Zoom. Please email me at DedeRittman@gmail.com

Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with groups called Field Trip Zoom and Streamable learning . We will come into YOUR classroom via ZOOM. GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone. Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.


Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 


I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37
years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman,  Rittman Rules,   Student Teaching: The Inside Scoop,    and Grady Gets Glasses
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   GradyGetsGlasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 


No comments:

Post a Comment