Monday, June 28, 2021

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing. You should just do it." Dean Smith

 

                                                                        AZQUOTES


Sometimes in life, you meet people who know what the right thing is, and they do it.  No recognition needed - they simply do the right thing.

That's what happened to a young man in Alabama who worked at the Waffle House.  Timothy Harrison went to work at the Waffle House on what was supposed to be his day off for a very special occasion - his high school graduation.  Sadly, his parents, with whom he did not live, had to work and could not attend, and the ceremony was to be held about an hour's drive away, and he did not have a ride.  So, he showed up to work at the Waffle House instead. 

His Waffle House manager would not hear of it.  Despite Timothy's not having the required cap and gown, Cedric Hampton, the store manager, along with other employees, made sure that Timothy would be at his high school graduation.  They even took him shopping for appropriate clothes to wear!  Timothy is not close with his parents, and his Waffle House family stepped up to do the right thing.   Cedric said that he could not allow Timothy to miss such an important life and milestone occasion as high school graduation.  He knew it was the right thing to do, and he did it.  No thinking about it or discussion, he just stepped in to do the right thing for a young man he cared about. What a wonderful story!  This story makes me think that sometimes, the family we choose is more important than the one we are given. 

To see a picture and read about this lovely gesture, please follow this link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/06/14/graduation-waffle-house-teen-work/ 

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestionsRittman Publishing, LLC ®

Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with groups called Field Trip Zoom and Streamable learning . We will come into YOUR classroom via ZOOM. GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone. Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.


Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 


I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37
years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   GradyGetsGlassesPinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® .  



No comments:

Post a Comment