Wednesday, August 19, 2020

"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world." Ralph Waldo Emerson

 

Brainy Quote


 noun
  1. an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.
    "he is prey to irrational fears"
    Similar:
    terror
    fright
    fearfulness
    horror
    alarm
    panic
    agitation
    trepidation
    dread
    consternation
    dismay
    distress
    anxiety
    worry
    angst
    unease
    uneasiness
    apprehension
    apprehensiveness
    nervousness
    nerves
    timidity
    disquiet
    disquietude
    discomposure
    unrest
    perturbation
    foreboding
    misgiving
    doubt
    suspicion
    the creeps
    the willies
    the heebie-jeebies
    the shakes
    the collywobbles
    jitteriness
    twitchiness
    butterflies (in the stomach)
    funk
    blue funk
    the (screaming) abdabs
    the Joe Blakes
    worriment
    inquietude
    phobia
    aversion
    antipathy
    bugbear
    bogey
    nightmare
    neurosis
    complex
    mania
    abnormal fear
    irrational fear
    obsessive fear
    bête noire
    hang-up
    Opposite:
    calmness
    confidence
verb
  1. be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening.
    "farmers fear that they will lose business"

I fear that our country is continuing to be paralyzed by fear, and I think that fear, in turn,  is causing paralysis of our country and its citizens. 

How many time have you heard the phrase  "an abundance of caution" in the past 6 months? That phrase, along with the words "COVID 19, coronavirus, pandemic, mask, social distancing, and shut-down" are all words I hope I never have to hear again.  Yes, I think the pandemic is scary.  Yes, with all my health problems, I am very afraid. Yes, the media has scared me and increased my fear exponentially.  

I stayed inside and went nowhere for the first 6 weeks of the pandemic.  Finally, I ran out of groceries and had to venture out to the grocery store, since I have no children to take care of me. The grocery store and the pharmacy were the only two places I went for 3 months.

Now,  I have stopped staying inside.  I am playing golf and going to the grocery store and a few other stores. I have eaten outside at restaurants with friends. Nothing is normal yet, but something has happened to me.  I am no longer depressed, as I was while staying inside alone for weeks and months on end.  I am back to being myself again.  I am very careful - washing my hands, keeping my distance, and all that is recommended.  But, it feels so good to drive, be outside, see some friends, and have at least a little bit of "normal" back. 

I think the media is making all of us so afraid for our lives. Did you know that drug overdoses and suicides have risen at an alarming rate during this pandemic.  Here is the link to an article from last week

Regarding children and back to school, I think the media has certainly scared them as well. We must be careful not to make them so paralyzed with fear that their psyches are forever changed.

Please, please, stay safe out there! But, please, try to overcome your fears a little.  Take a drive in the park, visit a friend on a porch or deck. Try to get some normalcy, with less fear, back into your life. It is working for me, and maybe it will work for you. 

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. Rittman Publishing, LLC ®
Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with a group called Field Trip Zoom. www.Fieldtripzoom.com  and a company called www.StreamableLearning.com GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone.Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.




Visit Dede's web page for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 


I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman  and Gradygetsglasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 



















































No comments:

Post a Comment