Thursday, April 4, 2019

"No one has ever become poor by giving." Anne Frank

Brainy Quote


16.2 million American children live in households that are food deficient. School programs that offer free and reduced breakfast and lunch are godsends during the week, but what about dinner and weekends?

A school in Indiana has created an innovative way to save and repackage cafeteria food and send it home to families instead of throwing it away. I am so impressed with this idea!  Think back to your school days. Schools notoriously have more prepared food than is served or eaten, and with so much need, this idea is a lifesaver!  Working with a group called Cultivate, the cooked (and unserved) food is packaged and frozen in individual portions.  Kids take home a weekend backpack containing 8 meals, and they don't have to worry about where or when their next meal will be. In my eyes, this is a win-win.  No waste, and feeding others!

As my readers know, I was a teacher for 37 years, and I offer you this one indisputable fact:  Kids simply cannot learn when they are hungry. Through this rescued food program, schools are preparing students to be more willing learners when they are in school.  I love how this school recognized that they were wasting food and partnered with a group who could package it, and return it to the students. 

With so many students and families going hungry, why can't more school districts try to solve student hunger with this method? I am sure the district would share their idea.

Schools are a dumping ground for so many of society's problems, but feeding families by rescuing too much prepared food can actually solve a problem of society, and without too much effort. 

Congratulations to Elkhart School District in Indiana for such an innovative idea!  

If you have not read about or seen this story, here is the link: 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/schools-team-up-with-program-to-package-unused-food-into-take-home-meals-for-students/ 

As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 
Rittman Publishing, LLC ®



Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with a group called Field Trip Zoom. www.Fieldtripzoom.com  GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone.Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.




Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!
 Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman  and Gradygetsglasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 









No comments:

Post a Comment