Thursday, January 17, 2019

"Teaching - The professions that creates all other professions."


This week, thousands of Los Angeles teachers went on strike.  Reasons include large class size  (45 in secondary schools), lack of support staff like counselors, nurses, and school psychologists, too much testing with too little curriculum, and low student spending, when the district has a stash of money.  These teachers, just like teachers everywhere, want more for their students.  Teachers did not t choose teaching for the huge bonuses and assortment of perks; they chose to teach in order to make a difference.

When I was a teacher for 37 years, we all wanted more for our students.  School is the foundation for everything a person will become!  Districts should see that they are holding the future of the country and the world in their hands, but sadly, they do not.  Why?  The people in charge of schools - the school board- are not educators.

I rarely offer a political opinion, but this issue has bothered me my entire life.  In other professions, the administrators of the business have been associated with and understand the profession.  For example, the managing partner of a law firm is a lawyer who has practiced law for years and understands the process.  School board members rarely or never have had any experience in the classroom, nor have they studied the methodology for teaching students, handling discipline, creating and implementing a viable curriculum, working toward inclusion, differentiating instruction, planning appropriate and interesting lessons, working with parents, and all the other things teachers must deal with every single day.  Board members have no idea that the average teacher makes 5000 decisions per day, and that teachers are trying so hard to extract the best from each student.  They have no idea that being with so many needy human beings all day is so exhausting, that come Friday night, bed beckons at 6 p.m. 

I am happy that teachers are standing up for themselves and their students, rather than allowing know-nothing school board members to dictate their ideas and dole out their money, one painful dollar at a time.  Teachers in today's must wear many hats : teacher, counselor, parent, advisor, psychologist, friend, confidante, and more. Students and teachers deserve more! School is the beginning and the end of our country's future, and I don't think we are doing a very good job of preparing. Schools and students need more resources, and they need them now. If resources do not improve, schools are not doing a very good job of preparing all the other professions.

Here is the link to an article by an LA teacher: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-caputo-pearl-teachers-strike-20190106-story.html 


As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions. 
Rittman Publishing, LLC ®

Please invite Grady Gets Glasses (and me) into your school.  if you are not in the Pittsburgh area, we do virtual field trips with a group called Field Trip Zoom. www.Fieldtripzoom.com  GRADY GETS GLASSES was the winner of Best New Children's Book 2016 and 2018 (new edition) from The Authors' Zone.Grady also won a 2018 prestigious Moonbeam Award for Best Children's Book with Merchandise.








Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER. Many colleges have made the book required readingSigned copies are available  www.dederittman.com Dede is also a national speaker on The Three C's for Classroom success: Confidence, communication, and Creativity; Avoiding Teacher burnout; and many other inspirational topics. 

I LOVE writing. And I love writing children's books- my newest passion. Although it will be a ton of work, I am looking forward to selling my books.  Since I was a secondary teacher, I know that I have much to learn about elementary students, and I will have to follow my own advice and be my genuine self.  However, I also know that I am passionate about helping kids who have to wear glasses, and that GRADY GETS GLASSES sends a positive message. I am willing to work hard and do all the things that also made me a successful teacher for 37 years. I remain inspired! 

Elementary teachers in Western Pennsylvania and beyond - I am willing to come into your classroom in person or as a virtual field trip through a group called Field Trip Zoom.  Check them out!  http://www.fieldtripzoom.com/ 

Teacher friends- let me know if you want me to read GRADY GETS GLASSES at your school. I am willing to come in to discuss the creative writing process, why writing is important, and personal fulfillment through writing, along with reading my book.  I would appreciate the exposure, and I would make signed copies available for purchase in your classrooms following the reading.  Please email me at dederittman@gmail.com  The website www.gradygetsglasses.com now has plush Grady bunnies for sale!

Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman  and Gradygetsglasses
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 






No comments:

Post a Comment