Sunday, October 11, 2015

“Sing your song. Dance your dance. Tell your tale.” ― Frank McCourt, from Angela's Ashes

Today's post is my 100th weekly post on Lessons Learned from the Bunny Teacher. Although I planned on writing a blog for years, actually writing it week in and week out is a bit intimidating and a huge commitment. I was a teacher for 37 years, and never having been in the "real" world of business and commerce, I wondered if I would have enough subjects to write about. It turns out that ideas present themselves all the time, and I still love to write about classrooms and teaching and students and being the best we can be.  I also like to write about The Golden Rule, and about life lessons from the golf course. My many avocations have prepared me for my new vocation. 

Do you know of the author Frank McCourt, author of Angela's AshesTis: A Memoir, and Teacher Man? Mr. McCourt was an English teacher for 30 years in the New York City Schools and did not write his first book until he retired from teaching. In fact, he was 66 years old when his first book, Angela's Ashes, was published.  He referred to his writing career as his "second act."  Frank McCourt inspired me.  He said this about why it took him so long to write his first book: "When you teach five high school classes a day, five days a week, you're not inclined to go home to clear your head and fashion deathless prose. After a day of five classes, your head is filled with the clamor of the classroom."  Truly a great answer, and one with which every teacher can identify. 

I would like to think that just like Frank McCourt,  I am also on my "second act."  My first book Student Teaching: the Inside Scoop from a Master Teacher, was launched on 9/27/2014. The book is doing well, and I am speaking at various universities, hosting webinars, and teaching teachers. My second book, albeit my first children's book, Grady Gets Glasses, will launch on 11/6/2015 in New York City in Times Square with two book signings in major chain book stores. I really wish Frank McCourt were still alive. (He died of cancer at age 78 on 7/20/2009)  I would write him an email to tell him how much he inspired me, and I would ask him to join me for a selfie and a coffee with Times Square as our backdrop. I know for sure that Frank McCourt would know my exact feelings at the launch of a new book post-teaching and in retirement!

Frank McCourt did not know he would be a role model for me, just as teachers often do not know that they are role models for their students. So often, teacher actions and kindnesses speak much louder than their words.

On this, my 100th post, I want to thank all of you for being such loyal readers.  I have developed a bountiful following  and I will continue to try to inspire you every Monday.  Have a great week.

One of my favorite quotes from Frank McCourt about teaching: 
“In the high school classroom you are a drill sergeant, a rabbi, a shoulder to cry on, a disciplinarian, a singer, a low-level scholar, a clerk, a referee, a clown, a counselor, a dress-code enforcer, a conductor, an apologist, a philosopher, a collaborator, a tap dancer, a politician, a therapist, a fool, a traffic cop, a priest, a mother-father-brother-sister-uncle-aunt, a bookkeeper, a critic, a psychologist, the last straw.” ― Frank McCourt

Rittman Publishing, LLC ® 

Please like Dede's new page Grady Gets Glasses for updates about her soon-to-launch children's book. https://www.facebook.com/gradygetsglasses?ref=hl 

Connect with Dede!

Twitter       @dederittman
Periscope   @dederittman
Facebook   Dede Faltot Rittman or Rittman Rules
LinkedIn   Dede Rittman
Google +   Dede Rittman
Tumblr      The Bunny Teacher
Instagram   dede_rittman 
Pinterest   Rittman Publishing, LLC

Visit Dede's webpage for complete details on her award-winning book, STUDENT TEACHING: THE INSIDE SCOOP FROM A MASTER TEACHER
www.dederittman.com 

Dede is the co-host of The Total Education Q & A, which can be heard on Blogtalk Radio at

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/totaltutor

Dede could really use your financial help to make her dream of helping kids who need glasses come true. Please visit http://www.gofundme.com/zvzhuk for complete details about her upcoming book GRADY GETS GLASSES!










  

No comments:

Post a Comment